Select Language

GreekEnglish (United Kingdom)

The Aristea Hotel features:

5 traditional rooms which can host from 1 to 3 people, bathroom, warm water, TV and its own heating for those cold winter nights.

4 studios which can host from 3 to 7 people. They have double baths, a fully equipped kitchen, refrigerator, dining area and TV in every room, its own heating, its own fireplace (wood can be provided). They have huge balconies from which you can enjoy your coffee with view the beautiful slopes of psiloritis.



For Anogia

Sample image

Mountain town near the boundaries of the prefectures of Rethymnon and Heraklion (52 km SE of Rethymnon - 2507 inhabitants). Access can be made from Heraklion (closest). According to tradition, Anogeia created by farmers in the early 13th century. There were heart rebels during the Turkish and cell resistance against German occupation during the last war.

It was one of the main parties that led and kept by the rebel captors o German commander, General von Kraipe before he run away to Africa. In retaliation, the Germans killed (1944) all the men of the village and literally razed the buildings except the church is dedicated to John the Baptist, with remarkable frescoes. Anogia rebuilt after the war by their inhabitants, engaged mostly in farming, crafts and textiles. The Anogians-quite different from the other Cretans maintain a strong traditional way of life in clothing, food, the special language they use and even in events of social life that does not mean without the participation of graphics Anogianos singers. Anogia starting point for the ascent to Ida (Psiloritis) and Ideo Cave (Distance 16 km).


The Ideon Andron. This is the cave on the plateau of Nida Psiloritis at an altitude of 1538, known to the shepherds of the region Spiliara the Shepherdess. Access is from Anogia (distance 16 km), through the wooded plateau of Nida. The male was the center of worship from prehistoric to Roman times. In one version was here that Zeus was born. In honor of the annual celebrations were systematic and sacred ceremonies and initiation of pilgrims, coming from various parts of Greece producing offerings and offerings to God. The cave was first explored in 1885 by an Italian archaeologist Federico Chalmpcher at the initiative of the Association Filekpaideftikou Heraklion. Divided into two main compartments which preceded spacious plateau (before entering the cave), a rock which is carved rectangular altar surrounded by Infinitely bench, and was carved in the rock. Among the many important discoveries yielded the cave is iron weapons and tools, bronze figurines, bronze utensils (trays, tripods, boilers), objects made of bone and ivory, and especially the famous reliefs, bronze votive shields with hunting scenes. Belonging to Orientalizing period of Greek art from the 8th and 7th century BC Located in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. Since 1982, the archaeologist C. Sakellarakis started new systematic excavations of the cave, they have brought to light many new discoveries, especially metaminoika. The study will rely even more on the story of the man.

Access to Anogia is efichti from Heraklion and Rethymnon by!